Thanks to a comment left on my Monday post I was directed to the right link for the Pet Blog Challenge and was able to get the correct questions to answer.
While this is only my second year doing the challenge I have found that doing both posts I’ve percolated my goals down into something very obtainable. So onward to the post
1. How long have you been blogging and provide a link to your post from last year’s Pet Blogger Challenge so we can refresh our memories.
I’ve been blogging since 2009 and here is last years post.
2. What do you consider the most important goals you set out in last year’s post?
Acquiring more followers and doing interviews with people about ferrets
3. Have you made progress toward those goals, or have your goals changed over the past year?
Yes, I have made some progress with getting more followers but not the full hundred I wanted. As for the interviews, I got them but it wasn’t me doing the interviewing it was the other way around. A completely new adventure for me.
4. How often do you post?
I try for three times a week but it seems that towards the end of the year I slow down to only a few posts a month.
5. Has your opinion of blogging on a schedule or as the spirit moves you changed? I think that my opinion is basically the same but how I go about it is changing as I learn more about myself and where I want to take Enlightened Ferret.
If you publish on a schedule why? I find that having a schedule lessens the amount of stress I am under but it also makes me feel boxed in at the same time.
How strict are you about your publishing deadlines? I allow for a little give way but find that if I miss a deadline I feel like I’ve let myself down.
What do you do for inspiration when it feels like you’ve covered every topic? I ask people what they would like to know on some of the social media sites and sometimes I revisit past posts and rewrite them.
If you don’t publish on a schedule, why?
How do you think your decision affects your audience? I am not sure how it affects my readers.
How do you know when a topic is “post-worthy?” Most of the time “post-worthy” topics are the ones I feel new ferret owners need to know or strikes a chord within me.
6. How much time do you spend writing your blog per week? Depends on the topic and how much research I need to do on the topic. Can range anywhere from twenty minutes to three days or more.
How much time visiting other blogs? This is where I feel like I need to improve as I don’t spend a lot of time reading other blogs.
Share your tips for staying on top of it all. Having an editorial calendar with a keyword listed for the day helps along with keeping a list of what “special” day/month might be happening and making a list of topics that are related to that event and ferrets.
7. How do you measure the success of a post and of your blog in general (comments, shares, traffic)? I have Google ad sense and it shows me the number of page views as I don’t often get many comments. The other thing is when I met people and they tell me about a blog post they’ve read and it just happens to be my blog.
Do you look strictly at the numbers, or do you have a way of assessing the quality of those interactions? I think I for the most part still in the mindset that I am blogging just to get the information out there and to educate people. Therefore, the numbers while nice don’t have a huge impact on me.
8. If you could ask the pet blogging community for help with one issue you’re having with your blog, what would it be? Getting more feedback.
9. What goals do you have for your blog in 2013?
To have 400 followers by the end of the year.
To open communication with companies that mostly with dogs and cats and show them another animal that might benefit from the products/services they offer.
To earn an income that would take care of my ferrets comfortably.
To move Enlightened Ferret from blogger to my own hosted site.
Have a Chittering Good Day,